The Hierarchy of Presentations





The Heirarchy of Presentations


by Seth Godin

A presentation is a precious opportunity. It's a powerful arrangement... one speaker, an attentive audience, all in their seats, all paying attention (at least at first).

Don't waste it.

The purpose of a presentation is to change minds. That's the only reason I can think of to spend the time and resources. If your goal isn't to change minds, perhaps you should consider a different approach.

  • The best presentation is no presentation at all. If you can get by with a memo, send a memo. I can read it faster than you can present it and we'll both enjoy it more.

  • The second best presentation is one on one. No slides, no microphone. You look me in the eye and change my mind.

  • Third best? Live and fully interactive. Powerpoint or Keynote, but with no bullets, just emotional pictures and stories.

  • And last best... well, if you really think you can change my mind by using tons of bullets roning presentation, I'm skeptical.

    A presentation isn't an obligation, it's a privilege.